Martin’s River Bridge
The magnificent Martins River Bridge which was built in 1903 and recently refurbished in 2022.
This project included the two piers which stand on bedrock in Martins River. They are formed with massive granite blocks, quarried from the railway’s own quarry in North River near New Germany. Best viewed from the road below, each block is gradually tapered to result in the distinctive shape of the piers. On the Eastern side of the bridge, a wooden trestle forms the last part of the span.
This bridge, which is 15 meters above the Mushamush River, was originally a wooden trestle. It was eventually replaced in 1923 by a concrete pillar and steel structure, which was re-purposed from a bridge in Quebec.